Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

یادگیری زبان انگلیسی همراه با فایل صوتی|سطح دو

اطلاعات موضوع

Kategori Adı Learning (آموزش)
Konu Başlığı یادگیری زبان انگلیسی همراه با فایل صوتی|سطح دو
نویسنده موضوع *JujU*
تاریخ شروع
پاسخ‌ها
بازدیدها
اولین پسند ارسالی
Son Mesaj Yazan *JujU*

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
فکر کردن به چیزایی که دیگران ساده ازش رد میشن
دل نوشته
هر روز معجزه است اگر به خدا ایمان بیاوریم..

اعتبار :

[h=1]Why Do I Like Mathematics?[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Sometimes there is a problem in life that has no answer. Perhaps a child has trouble learning. Perhaps someone becomes ill. Perhaps there was love, but now there is conflict. These problems are hard to solve. There is no single answer. Many people have opinions on what is the best answer.
But in mathematics there is an answer: a single answer that is right. There is no doubt; there is no argument; this answer is right. If we ask, “What is five plus seven?” The answer is twelve. If we ask, “How do you raise a child?” The answer would depend on the child and the parents.
Sometimes there is more than one way to reach an answer. Imagine we want to find the area of a triangle. The triangle has a right angle; the two sides surrounding the right angle are 20mm and 30mm. The formula for the area of a triangle is one half of (base)(height). We could consider the 20mm side as the base and 30 mm as the height.
We could consider the 30mm side as the base and the 20mm side as the height. Both ways would produce the same answer. The area is 300 square mm.Alternatively, we could consider the base as the third side of the triangle and then we would have to draw a height and measure it. The height would be neither 20 nor 30. But still we would end with the same answer. In math, the answer does not change.
Another reason I like math is the way it brings order. There can be a whole set of numbers or a whole set of measurements that mean nothing until mathematics organizes them into a pattern. An average number can be found; graphs can be drawn; the spread of the numbers and probabilities of a certain number happening can be calculated. This is like having a whole lot of dirty dishes after supper. Applying math is like washing and sorting the dishes and putting them back into the cupboard. Math is a powerful tool. Math should be our friend, and we will find more ways to use it to better our lives.

واکنش‌ها[ی پسندها]: eLOy

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]My Sister’s Visit to Canada[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

My sister had never been to Canada but came for a visit last April. I picked her up at the airport in Toronto and drove her through the traffic and multilane highways, past the grape vines and peach trees to Niagara Falls, where I live. She was very tired from the flight and soon slept.
The first day we walked to see the Falls. The spray from the Falls drifts high into the air and across the people standing to watch. There are people from all over the world watching the water and using their cameras. Because it was April there was still ice beside the water, huge chunks of ice that looked like white rocks. In the river there were floating pieces of ice moving downstream.
The next day we went to the town where the Niagara River joins Lake Ontario. The weather was warm. We walked a long way and our feet were hot, so we went down to the edge of the water to put our feet in. One toe in was enough! The water was so cold it made our feet ache! A piece of ice drifted beside our feet. I put one foot in for a second then out, as the pain of the cold went right through me! My sister could not understand how it could be so warm, but there was still ice.
Another day we went to see my daughter; she is living on a farm an hour’s drive away. We walked through her trees; the buds were starting to turn into leaves. We stopped and looked at the spring wildflowers. We climbed across a creek by walking over a fallen tree. We saw the footprints of raccoons by the water. There was fresh air and sunshine and blue sky.
On the way home we stopped for hamburgers and fries at a drive-through restaurant. She had never been to a drive-through restaurant before. Then we went to a donut shop. There are no donut shops where she lives. There was a choice of 20 different types of donut: some round, some with holes, some withfrosting, some with jam inside–each was different.
The days passed quickly, and soon it was time to take her back to the airport. Some of the trees now had leaves; some of the tulips were now blooming. It was hard to say goodbye to my sister. I hope we can visit again soon.

vine:
also grapevine
a plant that produces grapes
spray from the waves My face was stinging from the salt spray.
b) [countable] liquid that comes quickly from somewhere in very small drops
spray of
A spray of blood came from his mouth.
drift out/towards etc
The rubber raft drifted out to sea. Smoke drifted up from the jungle ahead of us.
USAGE Compare chunk, hunk, slice, and lump. All these words are used about pieces of something, but give different ideas of size, shape and material. A chunk is a large, usually uneven piece of a solid material that can be cut or divided: a chunk of meat. Hunk is similar in meaning but is used especially of food that can be broken or cut off: a hunk of bread. A slice is a thin, flat, cleanly-cut piece of something, especially food: a slice of bread/sausage/cheese. A lump is a mass of a solid material, of no regular size or shape, especially one which has not been shaped by human control: a lump of rock. (But a lump of sugar is usually regular in size and shape.)
a stomach acheA dull ache throbbed at the back of David’s head. aches and pains (=slight feelings of pain that are not considered to be serious) Apart from the usual aches and pains, she felt all right.
come into bud (=start to produce buds)
frosting:

a sweet substance put on cakes and made from powdery sugar and butter
British Equivalent: icing

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]A Summer Sunday[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Today the sun was warm; the sky was blue with a few white clouds. It was a good day to pick strawberries; it was a good day to go to the beach.
I drove to a pick-your-own farm where people can pick their own fruit and buy it. There the fruit is very fresh and delicious. The owner of the farm gave everyone a row to pick their strawberries. Everyone was wearing sun hats. I knelt down on the straw between the rows and picked the big juicy red berries. I tasted one; it was warm from the sun. When I bit into it the juice was sweet and strong. When three big pails were full, I went to pay for them and picked up some recipes for some strawberry desserts. I packed two of the pails in a cooler with some ice, and the other one we would eat at the beach.
I met my daughter at the beach. She had a soft pink blanket on the sand. This beach is beside a lake, and across the lake about 50 km away the large city can sometimes be seen. Today the wind blew cooler air across the lake over the people on the beach. There were children playing in the water. One man helped his son dig holes in the sand, and the water ran into the holes. One lady held her children’s hands and walked down into the water. Families climbed over the rocks and sat on the last rock where the water was deep. Teenagers rode bicycles and roller blades along the path beside the beach. Adults walked and ran along this path, carrying water bottles around their waists.
We sat on the blanket and ate sandwiches of meat and lettuce and strawberries from the pail. We talked and read books and lay in the sun, relaxing. We woresunscreen, but our skin was getting hot. How cold was the water? We walked across the sand that almost burned our feet, to the edge of the water. She went right in and lay down floating. I put my toes in and felt the chill through my body. I went up to my knees, then my thighs, but that was far enough! My whole body was cooled down; I headed back to the blanket to lay in the sun again.
Soon it was time to go home, she was coming to my house for supper. We drove down the highway with the windows open and our hair blowing in the warm breeze. We cut the strawberries up and made a strawberry dessert with cake and ice cream. We sat outside in the backyard under the maple trees with the birds singing around us and ate our supper. It was a perfect ending to a relaxing summer day.
pail:

a metal or wooden container with a handle, used for carrying liquids
ᅳsynonym bucketa milk pail
pail of
a pail of water

a cream or oil that you rub into your skin to stop the sun from burning you
ᅳsee also sunblock

a feeling of coldness
There was a slight chill in the air . morning/autumnal/January etc chill Suddenly aware of the morning chill, she closed the window.
chill of
He sat in the chill of the evening, staring out over the city below.
I turned on the heater in the hall to take the chill off the house (=to heat it slightly) .

a gentle wind
flowers waving in the breeze

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]My Parents[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

My parents live in England, and I live in Canada. I don’t see them often. They used to come and visit on a plane, and we would pick them up at Toronto airport. But now they are older and say the flight is too long for them.
I went to visit them last year, with my son, their grandson. They live by the ocean, and we could hear the sound of the waves through the bedroom window and see the blue water of the English channel. There is an island with a castle on top in the bay. We walked many times on the beach and picked up pebbles and feathers. We visited the island and walked up the steep hill to the castle.
My mother likes to cook. She makes delicious cakes and pies. We went for a hike and picked wild blackberries. She made them into a pie that smelled so good coming out of the oven and tasted so good on our plates. She has many cook books with recipes from all over the world and likes to try new things. She can makepastry very easily and rolls it with a rolling pin quickly. When I tried to make pastry, it sticks to the rolling pin, it has holes at the bottom of the pie, and it tastes like a rock! Her pastry is crisp and tender.
My father likes to garden. He grows lettuce, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and many flowers. When my mother was very ill last year, she had to stay in bed. He planted roses outside her bedroom window, so she could open the curtains and see them. Their house has small room with windows all around, and they plant seeds there in winter in small pots. The warmth from the sun makes the seeds grow, and in spring they are a good size to be planted outside.
In the house beside them and in the house in front of them, there are older ladies whose husbands have died. These ladies do not drive, so my father takes my mother and the two ladies to the town for shopping every week. He helps one find her groceries because she cannot see well. He helps her take tapes of books from the library so she can listen to books instead of reading them because of her eyes. He helps them cut their grass and fix anything that is broken in the house.
I am very proud of my parents; they are over eighty years old and often hurt when they move around. But still they help other people, and they help each other. They have been married for over fifty years, but still my father loves my mother enough to plant roses for her to cheer her up when she was ill.

bay:

▶SEA◀
a part of the sea that is partly enclosed by a curve in the land
a house with a view across the bay Montego Bay

a small smooth stone found especially on a beach or on the bottom of a river
The beach was covered with smooth white pebbles.
ᅳpebbly adjective
a pebbly beach

[uncountable] a mixture of flour, butter, and milk or water, used to make the outer part of baked foods such as pies
[countable] a small sweet cake, made using pastry
a Danish pastry
ᅳsee also rolling pin Pizza dough should be rolled thinly.
crisp and tender:
It means that her piecrust, for example, is crisp to the tooth and not soggy. And it’s tender vs tough.
In other words, her pastry is perfect!!
herbs growing in pots
the warmth of the summer sun
for warmth
The children huddled closely together for warmth.
Don’t mess about with my camera – you’ll break it. Someone’s broken the TV.
b) [intransitive] if a machine breaks, it stops working properly
The washing machine’s broken again.
Cheer up! The worst is over. They cheered up when they saw us coming along.
cheer somebody ↔ up
Here’s a bit of news that will cheer you up.
You both need cheering up, I think.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]The Planets of Our Solar System[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

The planet on which we live is called the Earth. Our planet is constantly moving around the sun, and each year, the Earth travels all the way around the sun. But there are many other planets that also travel around the sun. Together with the sun, the planets, and various other bodies, the Earth is part of our “solar system.”
The planet that is closest to the sun is Mercury. Mercury is extremely hot, and it is much smaller than the Earth. The second planet from the sun is Venus. Venus is about the same size as the Earth. Venus is also very hot.
The Earth is the third planet from the sun. The Earth is unusual among the planets, because it has such a large moon. The Earth is bigger than the moon, but the moon is still quite large. It takes about one month for the moon to travel around the Earth.
The fourth planet from the sun is Mars. Mars is known for its red colour. Mars is smaller and colder than the Earth. Mars has two very small moons. After the planet Mars, there are many small bodies called the asteroids. These rocky objects are much smaller than planets.
The first four planets are all made of rock and metal. The remaining planets, however, are mostly made of frozen gases.
The fifth planet is called Jupiter. Jupiter is the largest planet. It has many moons that travel around it, and it also has a large red spot. The sixth planet is called Saturn. Saturn is the second-largest planet, and it is famous for the wide “rings” that surround it. These rings are made up of many smaller objects that are found in the same area.
The seventh planet is called Uranus. The eighth planet is called Neptune. These planets are also gas giants, but they are smaller than Jupiter and Saturn. Both Uranus and Neptune are so far from the sun that scientists only discovered these planets during the past few hundred years, using telescopes. The other planets had all been visible to curious people for many thousands of years.
The ninth planet is called Pluto. Pluto is very small, and it is much more rocky than the gas giants. Some scientists believe that Pluto is not really a planet at all. They suggest that Pluto is the largest of many asteroids that are found at the edge of the solar system.
The solar system is a vast place. So far, people have not travelled beyond the moon. But perhaps someday, human astronauts will visit the other planets of our solar system!

asteroid:
one of the many small planets that move around the sun, especially between Mars and Jupiter

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Learning to Drive[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Each year, many young people learn to drive a car. For many people, learning to drive is important because the car is an important method of transportation in many places.
Before learning to drive a car, it is important to understand the rules of the road. A beginning driver should already understand the many signs that are found along the roads. Also, the student driver should know the many rules about changing lanes, turning, stopping, and many other aspects of driving. In addition, the driver should be familiar with the way the car is operated; it is important to know how to use the lights, signals, brakes, accelerator, andsteering wheel.
When a person starts learning to drive, it may take some time to become skilful. It takes some practice to become an expert in driving a car. One must become familiar with steering, speeding up, and slowing down. At first, it is good to practice driving in a large open space, such as an empty parking lot. Here, one can practice without being a danger to anyone.
When a person gains some skill in driving, it is then safe enough to practice driving on a road. Of course, a student driver must still be very careful. He or she should always have an expert driver in the car with him or her. Many beginning drivers take driving lessons from professional instructors, who can teach safe driving techniques.
Eventually, the young driver is ready for a driving test, which is needed to obtain a regular driver’s licence. This test is supervised by a government official. In the driving test, the driver must show that he or she can control the car with great skill by being able to make turns and to park the car in small spaces. But he or she must also show respect for the rules of the road by driving at a proper speed, and obeying all traffic signs and signals.
Of course, even when one has obtained a driver’s licence, it is always important to drive carefully and responsibly!

lane:
one of the two or three parallel areas on a road which are divided by painted lines to keep traffic apart
That idiot changed lanes without signalling. the inside/middle/outside lane Use the outside lane for overtaking only. the fast/slow lane Cars in the fast lane were travelling at over 80 miles an hour. three-lane motorway/highway/road
a particular side of a many-sided situation, idea, plan, etc.: The training program covers every aspect of the job. | The rise in violent crime is one of the more worrying aspects of the current situation.
steering whee:
a wheel that you turn to control the direction of a car
these children need to be carefully supervised
under his supervision
in a sensible way which makes people trust you
ᅳopposite irresponsibly
act/behave responsibly Can I rely on you to behave responsibly while I’m away?

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Snow[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Snow is the white substance that falls to the ground during cold weather conditions. Each tiny piece of snow, called a snowflake, is a very small amount of water that has frozen into an unusual shape. During the winter months, huge numbers of snowflakes fall to the ground, covering the land in a white blanket of snow.
In many parts of the world, people never see any snow. Snow only falls when there is moisture in the air, and when the temperature falls below the freezing point of water, which is zero degrees Celsius. During the winter, snow falls instead of rain.
One advantage of snow is that it allows many fun outdoor activities. Children like to play in the snow. For example, they may make a “snowman” by rolling snow into a large ball, and then placing these balls of snow on top of each other, in the shape of a person.
Another fun activity in the snow is skiing. Skis are very long, thin, flat pieces of hard material that one wears on one’s feet. Wearing skis allows a person to slide along the surface of the snow. People can ski down the side of a hill, travelling at great speeds.
Many people find the sport of downhill skiing to be very exciting. Some people like to ski along flat ground, often travelling great distances. This sport, called cross-country skiing, is an excellent way to develop physical fitness.
Of course, snow also causes some problems. Snow can make driving dangerous because falling snow makes roads slippery, and on a windy day, blowing snow can make it difficult to see very far. It can also be a lot of work to remove snow from the roads and sidewalks. Snow is a heavy substance, and it must be cleared away using a shovel or a large machine.
Many people love the beauty of the land when it is covered by snow. The white covering of snow over the fields and trees can give a feeling of peace and calm. If you have never seen snow before, you should someday experience this strange and wonderful substance!

moisture:
small amounts of water that are present in the air, in a substance, or on a surface
Plants use their roots to absorb moisture from the soil. Your skin’s moisture content varies according to weather conditions.
Francesca slid across the ice.
slide something across/along etc
He opened the oven door and slid the pan of cookies in.
He slid open the door of the glass cabinet.
I was going downhill and my brakes failed.

something that is slippery is difficult to hold, walk on etc because it is wet or greasy
In places, the path can be wet and slippery. Harry’s palms were slippery with sweat.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Christmas[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

In most Western countries, Christmas is the biggest holiday of the year. People gather with their families to celebrate this day, which occurs on December 25th each year.
The holiday of Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. In the Christian religion, Jesus Christ is recognized as the Son of God. During the Christmas season, many people celebrate the events of the birth of Jesus Christ. For example, they recall the three wise men who visited Jesus Christ shortly after his birth. Also, they recall that Jesus Christ was born in a manger (a place where horses are kept), because his parents could not find a place to stay.
In Western countries, Christmas is also celebrated by many people who are not religious. People view Christmas as a time for being together with one’s relatives. Children, parents, and grandparents gather to exchange presents and to eat special foods.
The tradition of giving gifts at Christmas is unusual in one way. When children go to bed on the evening before Christmas, they hang large socks (called stockings) in their house. When they wake up on Christmas morning, the stockings have been filled with toys and candy.
According to tradition, the presents have been given by a fat man who wears a white beard and a red suit. This man, called Santa Claus, flies around the world in asled that is pulled by reindeer. He stops at each house and flies down the chimney to deliver his presents. In the weeks before Christmas, children are usually very well behaved. Their parents tell them that Santa Claus will only give presents to children who are good!
Another Christmas tradition is the Christmas tree. People put a small tree inside their house and decorate it with various pretty objects. Nowadays, most people use an artificial tree instead of a real tree. The tradition of the Christmas tree is actually older than Christmas itself-the people of Europe celebrated the beginning of the winter season in this way even before Christianity reached Europe.
Christmas is certainly one of the most important and most enjoyed holidays in Western countries.

manger:
a long open container that horses, cattle etc eat from
baby Jesus was placed in a manger
view something as something
The law should be viewed as a way of meeting certain social goals.
view something from a … perspective/standpoint It’s an issue that can be viewed from several perspectives. view something with caution/suspicion/scepticism etc The local people viewed newcomers with suspicion.

a small vehicle used for sliding over snow, often used by children or in some sports

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Thanksgiving[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

An important holiday in North America is held during the fall, or autumn, season of the year. This holiday is called Thanksgiving. At this time of year, people join with their relatives to reflect upon their good fortune.
Thanksgiving is a holiday that has a long history in North America. It was first celebrated when Englishsettlers arrived in the eastern part of what is now the United States, during the seventeenth century. When they survived the first hard year, they celebrated and gave thanks to God. They invited some of the Native people to their Thanksgiving celebration, because the Native people had helped them to survive during the hard winter.
The tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving continued and spread throughout North America. Each fall, during the time of the autumn harvest, people celebrated Thanksgiving. They gave thanks for the food of the harvest, and for all the good things in their lives.
Today, the tradition of Thanksgiving celebration continues. Families gather to eat a large bird called a turkey. They also eat pumpkin pie. This is a sweet dessert that is made from a large orange vegetable that grows on the ground.
In the United States, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. But the following day, Friday, is also a holiday, and then comes the weekend. In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October. The reason for the earlier celebration in Canada is that the weather is colder than in the United States. This means that the harvest happens earlier in Canada, so Thanksgiving is held at an earlier date. But in both countries, Thanksgiving is a very pleasant time of year.
settler:
someone who goes to live in a country or area where not many people like them have lived before, and that is a long way from any towns or cities
*early settlers in Australia

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Halloween (2)[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

The holiday called Halloween is celebrated on October 31st of each year. Halloween is not an official holiday. Everyone goes to work or to school on Halloween, just as on any other day. But Halloween is still one of the holidays that children like the most.
Why do children like Halloween so much? There are two reasons: costumes and candy. On the evening of October 31st, children dress up in strange and unusual costumes. They wear costumes that may look like a witch, a monster, or many other weird things. Putting on these scary costumes is a lot of fun for children.
After the children put on their costumes, they walk from house to house during the evening. The children carry large bags with them. At each house, they stop and knock at the door. When an adult opens the door, the children shout “trick or treat.” The adult who opens the door pretends to be frightened, and then puts pieces of candy into each child’s open bag.
At the end of the evening, the children have visited many houses and have collected much candy. During the next several days, they can feast upon the sweet candies that they have received.
Another Halloween tradition is very unusual. In each house, a family gets a very large, round orange vegetable called a pumpkin. They cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin, and empty out the flesh and seeds of the vegetable. Then, they cut holes in the side of the pumpkin, so that it appears to have eyes, a nose, and a mouth. When the carving is finished, the pumpkin looks almost like a person’s face!
When the pumpkin has been carved to look like a face, people place a light inside the pumpkin, so that the vegetable seems to glow in the dark. This strange-looking face is called a “jack-o-lantern.” On Halloween evening, one can see many of these jack-o-lanterns, some of which are very beautifully carved.
Halloween is truly a fun and interesting holiday, especially for children!

feast:
feast on/upon something
to eat a lot of a particular food with great enjoyment
*We feasted on chicken and roast potatoes.
*a new tomato with firm flesh

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Easter[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Traditionally, Easter has been one of the most important holidays of the Christian religion. For Christians, the Easter holiday celebrates the death of Jesus Christ, who died for the benefit of all people. The exact date when Easter is celebrated is different each year, but it is always held in early spring, during March or April.
There are two very important days that make up the Easter holiday, which occurs during the spring season. The first of these days is called Good Friday. Christians recognize Good Friday as the day when Jesus suffered and died on behalf of humanity.
The second of these days is called Easter Sunday. Easter Sunday occurs two days after Good Friday. Christians celebrate Easter Sunday as the day when Jesus rose from the dead and went to Heaven. For Christians, Easter is the most solemnholiday of the year. Many people attend church services on Good Friday and on Easter Sunday.
Easter is also a time for celebration. Some Easter traditions come from old springtime festivals that existed even before Christianity. One of the traditions associated with Easter is the painting of Easter eggs. People take chickens’ eggs, make them hollow, and then paint them with beautiful colours. Some people paint very beautiful and complex designs on the Easter eggs.
Another Easter tradition is the Easter Bunny. According to tradition, the Easter Bunny is a magical rabbit that visits the homes of children on the night before Easter Sunday. The Easter Bunny hides chocolate candies, shaped like eggs,throughout the child’s house. On the morning of Easter Sunday, the children must search throughout the house, to find these many hidden treats!
The Easter holiday is an important time, both as a religious holiday and as a celebration of springtime.

solemn:
very serious and not happy, for example because something bad has happened or because you are at an important occasion
*a solemn expression
*Their faces suddenly grew solemn.
hollow:
▶EMPTY INSIDE◀
having an empty space inside
a hollow tree
throughout:
in, to, through, or during every part of: It rained throughout the night. | The disease spread throughout the country.
treat:
something special that you give someone or do for them because you know they will enjoy it
as a treat
Steven took his son to a cricket match as a birthday treat.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]My Friends[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Two of my best friends are named John and Jane. John and Jane are related to each other. In fact, they are brother and sister. Not only are they brother and sister, but they are also twins. Their mother gave birth to them only a few minutes apart.
I first met John and Jane when we were only five years old. We went to kindergarten classes at the same school. Because the house where John and Jane lived was close to my family’s house, I often walked to school with John and Jane.
When we weren’t at school, John and Jane and I often played together. Sometimes, we would play sports and games. Sometimes, we would play in the forest, looking for birds and animals. On rainy days, we would stay inside, and play with toys and dolls. On warm summer days, we would go swimming in the lake that was near the place where we lived.
I often visited John and Jane at their house. On many occasions, I had lunch at their place. John and Jane’s parents were very nice to me. Of course, John and Jane often visited my house too. My parents enjoyed it when John and Jane came over for lunch.
When I became older, I remained friends with John and Jane. Sometimes, we would study or do our school homework together. Sometimes, we worked at the same part-time jobs, to make extra money. We often helped each other in various ways. Sometimes, I did a favour to help John or Jane, and sometimes they did favours to help me.
Eventually, when we grew up, I moved to a different town. Both John and Jane also moved to different places. But I am still good friends with John and Jane. Two years ago, I went to Jane’s wedding, and last year, I went to John’s wedding. I think I will probably always be friends with John and Jane.
Having friends is very nice. I am very lucky to have had good friends such as John and Jane.
related:
things that are related are connected in some way
Police now believe that the three crimes could be related.the problem of drug abuse and other related issues
related to
He suffers with memory loss related to his disease.
closely/directly/strongly etc related Education levels are strongly related to income. drug-/pollution-/stress-related etc people suffering from tobacco-related illnesses
[not before noun] connected by a family relationship
Are you two related?
related to
I might be related to him.
animals, plants, languages etc that are related belong to the same group
Dolphins and porpoises are closely related.
two days/three weeks/five years etc apart Our birthdays are exactly a month apart.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Hobbies[/h]دریافت فایل صوتی

Hobbies are activities that people do in their spare time, for the sake of enjoyment. A hobby usually involves work of some kind, but the work is fun for the person who does it. Some people enjoy their hobbies very much and like to spend much time on those hobbies.
There are many different hobbies that people enjoy. One of the most popular hobbies is gardening. Many people enjoy growing beautiful flowers or tasty vegetables in a garden near their house or apartment. People who have a garden enjoy seeing the results of their work, when flowers show their bright, beautiful colours. But gardeners also enjoy the tasks of gardening itself. They like to work in the soil, planting and watering their flowers.
Another popular hobby is photography. Some people enjoy taking pictures of the people and places around them. People who enjoy photography may sometimes buy expensive cameras that allow interesting photographs to be taken. But even people who have only a basic camera can still take beautiful pictures.
For many people, car repair is a favourite hobby. Some people enjoy looking at the engine and other parts of their cars. Those people make repairs or improvements to their cars. Of course, this is a useful hobby, but many people enjoy “fixing up” a car simply because they enjoy working with cars.
Some people collect objects as a hobby. For example, some people collectpostage stamps, and some people collect coins. It can be very satisfying to find the missing parts of one’s collection, especially when the stamps or coins are very rare.
Of course, these are just a few of the many hobbies that people enjoy. Do you have any hobbies that you enjoy?

sake:
for the sake of somebody/something
also for somebody’s/something’s sake
in order to help, improve, or please someone or something
*He moved to the seaside for the sake of his health.
*I only went for Kay’s sake.
*I hope he’s told the truth for his own sake (=because it will be good for him) .
*for the sake of friendship
*to toil for the sake of money
*for my mother’s sake
*for God’s (or Heaven’s or Pete’s) sake!
He’s going to live by the coast for the sake of his health. | I’m only doing it for your sake; I don’t care about it myself. | For both our sakes, please do as I ask

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Life in Outer Space?[/h]

People have often wondered about whether or not there is life beyond the planet Earth. For years, the idea of intelligent life on other planets has been very popular. Many books and movies tell stories of what those forms of life might be like.
Many scientists believe that very simple forms of life are likely to exist on many other planets. Under the right conditions, simple life forms might arise. Those conditions, which include moisture and warmth, might occur in many parts of the universe.
Fewer scientists believe that very intelligent forms of life are likely to exist on many other planets. For intelligent life to evolve, a very long period of time is needed. During that time, the conditions on a planet must not be too harsh. Otherwise, the evolving life forms will die. The amount of water, heat, and various chemicals must be “just right.” If not, then complex life might never evolve.
The conditions needed for intelligent life to evolve are very unlikely to occur on any one planet. However, some scientists believe that intelligent life might be common in the universe. Because there are so many stars and planets in the universe, there might be a few places that have intelligent life. However, those places are probably very, very far away.
Other scientists disagree. They think that the conditions needed for intelligent life are extremely rare. Because of this, our planet might be the only place that has intelligent life!
So far, it is impossible to know whether or not there are intelligent beings on other planets. But even if those beings do exist, it seems very unlikely that we will ever meet them.

intelligent:
an intelligent creature is able to think and understand
Are there intelligent beings on other planets?
forms of intelligent life
evolve:
to develop and change gradually over a long period of time
The school has evolved its own style of teaching. Businesses need to evolve rapidly.
evolve out of
The idea evolved out of work done by British scientists.
evolve into
The group gradually evolved into a political party.
harsh:
▶CONDITIONS◀
harsh conditions are difficult to live in and very uncomfortable
ᅳsynonym severe
The hostages are being held in extremely harsh conditions .
harsh winter/weather/climate
the harsh Canadian wintersa
vulnerable young girl suddenly exposed to the harsh realities of life
unlikely:
not likely to happen
Donna might be able to come tomorrow, but it’s very unlikely .
unlikely to do something
The weather is unlikely to improve over the next few days.
it is unlikely (that)
It’s unlikely that the thieves will be caught.
in the unlikely event of something (=if something which is unlikely happens) In the unlikely event of a fire, passengers should move to the top deck.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Reading the Newspaper[/h]

I often enjoy reading the newspaper. In my city, there are three different newspapers, and I look at different newspapers on different days. I find that each section of a newspaper has some interesting information.
Most newspapers contain several sections that can be easily removed from the rest of the newspaper. The main section is found at the front of the newspaper. This section usually contains the most important news from around the world, from around the nation, and from the local area.
Sometimes the main section also includes some pages that contain opinions about the news. The editors of the newspaper write an editorial opinion. Other writers provide many different opinions about current events. Also, some readers of the newspaper write letters to the editor, in which they express their opinions.
Another popular section of the newspaper is the sports section. This section contains information about many different sports events. The sports section provides scores and results from many games and competitions.
Another section of the newspaper contains information about entertainment and the arts. The arts and entertainment section tells readers about new movies and plays. It also describes new books, music concerts, and art exhibits.
Most newspapers also have a business section. This section provides information about new business deals, and about the stock market. Many people read the business section of the newspaper to gain information and advice about investing their money.
Finally, newspapers usually have a section for classified advertisements. This section allows people to advertise about things that they want to buy or sell. It also gives notices about job openings.
Reading the newspaper is surely a good way to keep informed about many different events in the world around us.

things such as films, television, performances etc that are intended to amuse or interest people
The town provides a wide choice of entertainment.
There will be live entertainment (=performed then, not recorded) throughout the day.
light entertainment (=comedy)
The dolphins give good entertainment value (=a lot of amusement and interest) .
the entertainment industry/business/world
deal:
▶AGREEMENT◀
[countable] an agreement or arrangement, especially in business or politics, that helps both sides involved
They made a deal to sell the land to a property developer.
deal with
rumors that the company had struck a deal with Microsoft to market its products
deal between
Twelve US soldiers were released after a deal between the army and the guerillas.
Cash incentives worth almost £45 million helped to clinch the deal .
You can get some really good deals on the internet.
She and Branson have been discussing a possible business deal together.
The merger is still far from being a done deal .
a new band signing a major record deal
stock market:
the business of buying and selling stocks and shares
a place where stocks and shares are bought and sold
ᅳsynonym stock exchange
opening:
a job that is available
There are very few openings in scientific research.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Summer Jobs[/h]

In North America, many young people attend high school, college, or university. But during the summer months, most of those students work at a summer job.
For most students, there are no classes during the months of July and August, and sometimes none in May and June also. Having a summer job allows students to make money that they will need during the rest of the year. They need this money because it costs a lot of money to pay for university or college. Of course, students also want money to spend on things that are fun, also.
Many students have summer jobs that involve working with children. For example, some students work at children’s camps, where they teach children various skills and games. Some students work as lifeguards, at swimming pools and at beaches.
Some students do heavy work in their summer jobs. For example, some students find jobs as construction workers. Other students work in factories, and some students work on farms. There are other students who find jobs mowing lawns or collecting trash.
Quite a few students work in stores. Some of these students have jobs as cashiers, and some have jobs putting products on store shelves. Other students work in restaurants, as waiters or as cooks.
Other students work in offices. Some of them work as assistants for other employees. Their tasks might include typing letters, programming computers, or delivering mail.
Some students enjoy their summer jobs very much, and they find those jobs to be a pleasant break from studying. Other students do not really enjoy summer jobs, but find their jobs to be a nice way to make new friends. But nearly all students who have summer jobs are pleased to have the chance to earn some extra money.

construction:
▶BUILDING SOMETHING◀
[uncountable] the process of building things such as houses, bridges, roads etc
construction of
the construction of a new airport
under construction
(=being built) The hotel is currently under construction.
a road construction project construction workers<

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Eating Out[/h]

Many people enjoy the experience of going out to eat at a restaurant. It is enjoyable to eat one’s favourite foods, or to try some entirely new food. Going out to a restaurant is also fun because it allows a change from the usual routine of eating at home.
There are many different kinds of restaurants. One popular type of restaurant is the fast-food restaurant. When ordering fast-food, you must first wait in line at the front of the restaurant, and then order food from the counter. After paying, the food is quickly delivered, and you can then take the food to a table, where you can enjoy your meal.
In most restaurants, you don’t have to go to a counter to order your food. Instead, you are taken to a table soon after entering the restaurant. There, a waiter comes to give you a menu. You can choose your meal from the foods that are listed on the menu. After ordering, it takes some time to prepare your food. After a while, the waiter brings your meal to the table. When you are finished eating, the waiter brings the “bill” or “check”. You then pay for the meal, and leave some extra money as a “tip” for the waiter.
In some other restaurants, the waiter does not bring the meal to your table. Instead, after you are taken to a table, you then go to a counter called a “buffet.” There you can select different types of foods, such as salads, soups, meats, breads, vegetables, and desserts. After putting the food on your plate, you return to your table. After eating, you can return to the buffet to get more food.
Other restaurants can be very fancy. They may have beautiful decorations, and they may have food that is prepared by expert chefs. These restaurants may also serve fine wines with the food. Of course, these restaurants are very expensive. At these restaurants, it is often necessary to reserve a table by telephoning the restaurant in advance.
Different restaurants specialize in different kinds of food. Fast-food restaurants may specialize in hamburgers or chicken. Some restaurants specialize in steak or seafood. Other restaurants specialize in foods that belong to a certain nationality. For example, many restaurants specialize in Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, or Thai food.
Eating out at a restaurant can be a fun and tasty experience. What is your favourite kind of restaurant?

buffet:
(a place where one can get) a meal of foods arranged on a long table, which people serve for themselves and eat standing up or sitting down nearby
Another Source
a meal at a party or other occasion, in which people serve themselves at a table and then move away to eat
a cold buffet
buffet breakfast/lunch/supper
The price includes morning coffee, buffet lunch, and afternoon tea.
Telephone:
British English formal
to talk to someone by telephone
ᅳsynonym phone, call
Sammy telephoned to say that he would be late.
I’ll telephone you later.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Radio Stations[/h]

When I drive in my car, I like to turn on the radio. By listening to the radio, I can enjoy music and learn the latest news while I am travelling from one place to another. Of course, you can also listen the radio at home, or even at work. Listening to the radio is a popular activity for many people, and each city has many different radio stations.
There are many different kinds of radio stations. Some radio stations provide news and information. Other radio stations have a “talk” format, where listeners can call the radio station’s experts, to discuss political affairs or to ask for personal advice.
Although there are many radio stations that provide news and opinions, most radio stations are mainly devoted to playing music of some kind. For example, some radio stations play the songs that are currently most popular, often called the “top 40″ songs.
Other radio stations specialize in particular types of music. There are some stations that play only classical music. Other radio stations mainly play jazz music. Some very popular radio stations play “hard rock” music. Others specialize in country music. Some people prefer radio stations that play rhythm-and-blues music. Still other people enjoy radio stations that specialize in soft, “easy listening” music.
If you have a favourite kind of music, or even if you like to listen to all kinds of music, you can probably find at least one radio station that you will like.
In addition to news and music, some radio stations provide other kinds of entertainment. Sometimes, a story from a book will be told over the radio. Occasionally, the words of a theatrical play may be heard on the radio.
Even in the age of television and computers, the radio has remained an important source of entertainment and information. People will surely listen to the radio for a long time to come.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Being a Good Citizen[/h]

Every society has laws that regulate the way people behave. A good citizen should obey laws. However, there is more to being a good citizen than merely obeying laws. There are many other things that people can do to make their society a pleasant one for every person.
One way to be a good citizen is to be polite in everyday activities. For example, when passing through a door, a considerate person will hold the door open for a person who is close behind. Holding doors open is especially important when someone is carrying a heavy load.
Being a good citizen is very important when travelling on the roads and streets. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and car drivers should all follow the rules of the road. Bicyclists should yield to pedestrians, and car drivers should yield to both bicyclists and pedestrians. Drivers should also allow other drivers to merge into their lanes. Also, drivers should avoid honking their horns except when this is necessary.
A good citizen will also avoid doing things that interfere with others. For example, a considerate person does not smoke cigarettes in areas where this might irritateothers. Also, a polite person avoids playing music so loudly that other people will be annoyed. And of course, a good citizen avoids littering or making a mess.
Other ways of being a good citizen involve greater effort. Some people serve their community by doing volunteer work of some kind. Other people help by donating money to a charity. Another way to serve the community is to donate blood. Blood donors are needed so that there will be enough blood available to help people who are sick or injured.
Being a good citizen is very helpful for the community, and it also gives a feeling of satisfaction and pride!

regulate:
to control, esp. by rules; bring order or method to an activity or process: a well-regulated company
*strict rules regulating the use of chemicals in food
*is it the government’s duty to regulate the country’s industries?
*he asked students to regulate their conduct
*a law to regulate the activities of banks
ᅳopposite inconsiderate
*Your children are always very considerate towards old people.
*He was always kind and considerate.
*it is considerate of somebody (to do something)
*It was very considerate of you to let us know you were going to be late.
considerate towards
*As a motorist, I try to be considerate towards cyclists.
*he is always considerate of others
load of
a load of wood
The lorry had shed its load (=the load had fallen off) . The plane was carrying a full load of fuel.
to combine or cause (two or more things) to combine, esp. gradually, so as to become a single thing: One color merged into the other. | The two roads merge a mile ahead. | This command allows you to merge two files.
Low flying aircraft are a constant irritant in this area.
Another Source
1 to make angry or impatient: Her habit of biting her nails irritates me. | irritating delays
2 to make painful and sore: Wool irritates my skin.
to cover untidily with scattered litter or something similar: The streets were littered with old cans and other rubbish. | Piles of books and papers littered her desk. | (fig.) The book is littered with (=full of) mistakes.
if you litter the streets, you will be fined
don’t litter!
his desk was littered with old magazines and letters
Another Source
if things litter an area, there are a lot of them in that place, scattered in an untidy way
Clothes littered the floor.
litter something with something
The desk was littered with papers.

*JujU*

کاربر انجمن
تاریخ ثبت‌نام
Nov 6, 2013
ارسالی‌ها
پسندها
امتیازها
محل سکونت
تهران
تخصص
دل نوشته

اعتبار :

[h=1]Visiting the Doctor[/h]

When people feel sick, they go to a doctor. But sometimes people visit the doctor even when they are not sick. Doctors can perform a medical “check-up”, to find out if a person is healthy. By performing this physical examination, the doctor can identify any health problems that might be developing.
During a check-up, the doctor examines your eyes, ears, and throat. The doctor uses a small flashlight to examine the eyes, ears, and throat. It is important to make sure that the eyes react normally to changes in light. It is also important to make sure that the ears and throat have a normal appearance. When the doctor examines your throat, he or she will ask you open your mouth wide and say “ah”.
The doctor uses a stethoscope to examine the patient’s heartbeat. The stethoscope hangs around the doctor’s neck. By using a stethoscope, a doctor can hear the patient’s heartbeat very clearly. While checking the patient’s heart, the doctor also listens carefully to make sure that the patient’s breathing is normal.
The doctor also checks the patient’s blood pressure. Blood pressure is measured by placing a cuff around the arm. Air is then pumped into the cuff, and this allows blood pressure to be measured. Having very high blood pressure, or very low blood pressure, is not good for one’s health; it is better to be “in between”.
Another part of the examination is a test of the reflexes. The doctor tests the patient’s reflexes by gently hitting his or her knee with a small hammer. If a person has normal reflexes, the leg will extend suddenly.
Sometimes a doctor may give injections using a needle, as an extra part of the check-up. These injections, called vaccinations, prevent the patient from developing certain illnesses.
Medical check-ups can help to maintain health, but people should also maintain their health by leading a healthy lifestyle.

flashlight:

a small electric light that you can carry in your hand
British Equivalent: torch
cuff:
a narrow piece of cloth
reflex:
reflexes [plural]
a) the natural ability to react quickly and well to sudden situations
have good/quick/slow reflexes A tennis player needs to have very quick reflexes.
b) a sudden uncontrolled movement that your muscles make as a natural reaction to a physical effect
Doctor Mulholland tested Jennifer’s reflexes (=especially by hitting her knee with a special rubber hammer) .
extend:
▶ARMS/LEGS◀
[transitive] to stretch out a hand or leg
George extended his hand (=offered to shake hands) .
maintain:
▶MAKE SOMETHING CONTINUE◀
to make something continue in the same way or at the same standard as before
*Careers Officers maintain contact with young people when they have left school.
*Britain wants to maintain its position as a world power.
*A lot depends on building and maintaining a good relationship with your customers.
*The hotel prides itself on maintaining high standards.
*eat enough food to maintain your health
*we wish to maintain our friendly relations with them
*to maintain law and order
*two complete hospitals are maintained for the poor
*maintain your speed at 100 kilometers per hour
*this tribe maintains its native customs with ceremonial dances
leading:
in this case, leading means ‘performing’
ie, exercise, eating right, etc

بالا پایین